Adjusting to college life can be difficult, especially when you don't have home-cooked meals or your own bed. When you are sitting in class all day or see the endless choices of dining hall food, it can be easy to fall into the Freshman 15 trap. Don't give up hope, it's possible to get in the best shape of your life in college with these tips!
1. Walk or Bike to Class
- Take the stairs between classes instead of waiting for the crowded elevator.
- If you commute to school, park a little further away to get some extra steps in.
- If you have time in between classes, go for a walk around the campus or stores.
- Biking around is a great way to burn calories and will get you to class on time!
2. Join an Intramural Sport
- Joining a basketball or soccer team can be a fun way to stay active and meet new friends. If sports aren't your thing, look for other ways to stay moving such as shopping with your friends or joining campus clean ups.
3. Hit the Rec Center
- Most likely your school has a Rec center or gym in your apartment complex. Before or after class check out the weight room and get a good lift in! You can even bring your books with you to study as you spin on the bike or hit the elliptical.
4. Take a Fitness Class as a Course
- Many schools offer dance or swimming courses you can take and get credit for it! This is a great way to stay active without having to sit through a boring lecture hall.
5. Dorm Room Workouts
- Although you may not have the biggest room, there are many body weight exercises you can do to burn some extra calories. Body-weight squats, burpees, and planks can all be done with no equipment, and are all great for getting your heart rate rising.
- Quest Bars
- Complete Cookies
- Mighty Muffins
- Trail Mix Nuts
- Tuna fish
- Muscle Brownies
- Peanut Butter
- Protein Powder
- String cheese
- Yogurt cups
- Baby carrots