So I have a pretty good feeling that this is going to be my most popular blog thus far. This week, I’m going to channel my inner Sue Johanson (a renowned sex therapist… for those of you who didn’t know) and write about everybody’s favorite subject…
From much experience and expertise in the subject (wink) I’m going to educate you prudes about some great workouts and diets to improve and spice up your sex life, whether you’re lacking in that area or you’d just like to incorporate some new techniques.
Listen up, because I’ve received some pretty positive feedback.
…Unless you’ve been faking it.
But back to the topic at hand…SEX
Sex should be fun for both parties involved.
Gentlemen… if you’re out of shape in this area, please, for your own sake and the sake of your partner(s), please pick up the slack.
Work out and eat right to improve your stamina. I’m about to drop some serious knowledge, so listen up, boys and girls.
The most desirable attribute women seek in their partner is “confidence”. As a gym rat, you already know that improving your physique will help you feel better about yourself, in turn allowing you to exude a sense of self-assuredness that women find wildly attractive.
A generally big guy might turn a few heads, but there’s so much more to having a sexy physique than just the “show” muscles. A sculpted upper back, for example, is an awfully sexy feature (I’ve been told this, so it must be true.)
My token “Better Sex Workout Plan” mainly focuses on the glutes and hamstrings, body parts that help keep your balance and provide a foundation for the rest of your physique. This plan runs on a 3-day circuit that has been compiled from Men’s Health and Fitness forums. Its been proven to work. Each workout should be done per week with a day of rest in between. It should take about 50-60 minutes to complete.
Let’s get started.
- Bench Press: 4 sets of 6-8 reps. Start light and work your way up to your max. Try to max out at 1-3 reps. You will notice an increase in strength over time.
- Inclined Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Set a bench to a 25-35 degree angle and lie back with dumbbells over your chest. Increase weight by 5-10 lbs each set.
- Dumbbell Overhead Press: 3 sets of 8-10 reps. From a standing position, squeeze your core and press weights from over your shoulders to over your head. Increase weight per set.
- Skull Crushers: 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Lie on a bench using a weighted bar or EZ-curl bar. Increase weight each set or use your max weight for all sets.
- Ab Wheel Rollout (my personal favorite): 4 sets of 10-12 reps. ENGAGE YOUR CORE!
- Conditioning: Run or sprint on treadmill with incline. Walk back down and rest for a minute or two between sets. Run for 40-50 yards and rest. Repeat 6-8 times.
- Deadlift: 3 sets of 5-7 reps
- One-arm Dumbbell Row: 3 sets of 10 reps. Increase weight with each set.
- Face Pull (another personal favorite): 2 sets of 15 reps. Attach a rope handle to the top pulley on a cable machine. Pull the rope toward your face and squeeze your upper back. Hold for one second and release.
- Lat Pull-down: 4 sets of 8-10 reps. Increase weight with each set.
- Barbell Curl: 3 sets of 12 reps. Increase weight with each set.
- Conditioning: Burpees. 5 sets for 20-40 seconds. (If you don’t know what these are, look them up. This is basic stuff…)
- Squats: 4 sets of 8 reps.
- Hip Thrust: 3 sets of 10 reps. Sit on the floor with a bench in front of you or a ball.Put your legs on the bench/ball and thrust your hips up (to a reverse-plank position) and hold for a few seconds. Squeeze your glutes until your body forms a straight line. FEEL THE BURN!
- Dumbbell Step-up: 2 sets of 15 reps. Hold a dumbbell in each hand and place one foot on a bench so your thigh is parallel to floor. Step up but leave one leg hanging off. Switch.
- Cable Pull-Through (love this): 3 sets of 8 reps. Attach a rope handle to the low pulley or cable machine and straddle it. Face away and bend forward. Pull the handle through your legs and thrust your hips forward (you can also use a kettle bell weight).
- Hanging Leg Raise: 4 sets of 10-12 reps (or until you literally can’t do anymore.)
- Conditioning: Jump rope for 20-30 seconds. Rest for 1 minute. Repeat for 8-10 minutes.
Moving on, I’ll go over some foods proven to help you perform better in the sack.
EAT YOUR GREENS. Spinach and other dark green veggies are imperative to your sexual performance. Spinach is a great source of magnesium, which helps dilate blood vessels. (Get it? More efficient blood-flow to where it counts = greater arousal for both men and women.) Try also broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage, and Bok Choy.
Unsweetened tea is a great antioxidant and promotes blood flow to areas all over the body for increased sexual power as well as brainpower. Antioxidants are proven to enhance memory, mood, and focus. So ladies, serve your man a glass of your finest tea before hanky time to ensure he’ll be ready to go!
Fruits such as peaches, grapefruit, and oranges are packed with vitamin C. According to research at the University of Texas Medical Branch, “vitamin C improves sperm count and sperm motilit
y.” (If you’re looking to have “really effective” sex, try incorporating some of these items into your diet. Most of us will probably shy away for obvious reasons…)
Several studies have found that the antioxidants in red wine may trigger the production of nitric oxide in the blood. The presence of nitric oxide allows relaxation of arterial walls, and you guessed it… increased blood flow to the genitals! I recommend limiting yourself to a glass or two; you don’t want to go and reverse the effects, if you catch my drift.
Protein, as I mention in nearly every post, is of the utmost importance. It boosts your metabolism and helps build muscle. I recommend lean meats, fish, and beans. BUT OF COURSE POWDER IS ACCEPTED
Oatmeal and whole grains boost testosterone production in the bloodstream. Testosterone is a steroid hormone that plays a significant role in sex drive and orgasm strength in both men and women. Some whole grains contain L-arginine, “which is an amino acid that enhances the effect of nitric oxide on the relaxation of blood vessel walls.”
Dark chocolate contains a compound called phenyl ethylamine that releases the same endorphins triggered by sex, According to research published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, consuming foods containing this compound may ultimately increase the feelings of attraction between two people.
Lastly I’ll mention strawberries. Research suggests, “The color red is psychologically associated with sex and love. Strawberries also include B vitamins that help prevent birth defects and vitamin C, which is a potential libido booster.” TIP: Try dipping them in dark chocolate… what’s sexier than that?
Have fun with these tips, stay safe, and of course… make me proud.
Until next time,
Peace. Love. Protein @CP
Sources: Men’s Health, Men’s Fitness, AndrewBrauny.